Tuesday, April 3, 2007

A Degree of Mastery - Book Review




A Degree of Mastery: A Journey through Book Arts Apprenticeship
By Annie Tremmel Wilcox







Although I am still reading this book, I wanted to mention how much in awe I am of this author, her mentor, and anyone else who has ever worked or trained as a bookbinder.

Right from page 1, Annie jumps into the nitty gritty of how to bind a book. Interspersed with those details, is her story of the apprenticeship she did under William Anthony.

Bill Anthony was considered to be the foremost Bookbinder and Book Conservationist of the 20th century in America.

There is so much detail and jargon in this book, I found the first few pages a little overwhelming. But by page 45, I was getting used to it. But still, a Glossary or an Index would have been very useful. So I think I will make a glossary of my own.

After a little more digging, I found an online bookbinding magazine. While it is still fairly new, it certainly looks interesting. The Bone Folder

I will be publishing some posts of the jargon/words and tools that Annie uses in her book, as I find them. Hopefully, I can find some pictures to use as illustrations as well.

No comments: