Wednesday, April 4, 2007

A BookBinding Glossary - Introduction




A Degree of Mastery: A Journey through Book Arts Apprenticeship
By Annie Tremmel Wilcox





I finished reading this book today - took about two days. For me, that is slow. It's a very slim book, barely 200 pages. Just 5 chapters. Usually I would have finished reading it in just one afternoon & evening, but the job and the family do have to take priority. So I read it when I could - on the bus to & from my job, during my lunch break, and in bed before I fell asleep.

I found a small Glossary (3 pages) which explains a number of words quite clearly. It even has some photos. So my glossary will just concentrate on those terms that Annie uses which are not on this list.

Also, here is a Book Binding Tutorial from the University of Iowa's Center for the Book. The same University where Annie did her Apprenticeship.

And lastly The Book is a short history of bookbinding, paper making and other related book arts. Just click the links at the bottom of the page.

Call this my spring project. A personal foray into the world of book binding. Hopefully, I might be able to do a fair amount of work on this project over Easter.

No comments: