Monday, September 17, 2007

30 Books Every Adult Should Read Before They Die

Books I've Read are Highlighted in Red.

To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
The New Oxford Annotated Bible [with the Apocrypha, Third Edition, new Revised Standard Version]
The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Two Towers, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Return of the King: being the Third Part of the Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
Nineteen Eighty-Four, by George Orwell
A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque
The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book I), by Philip Pullman
The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, Book II), by Philip Pullman
Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials Book III), by Philip Pullman
Birdsong: A Novel of Love and War, by Sebastian Faulks
The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
Lord of the Flies, by William Golding
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon
Tess of the d'Urbervilles, by Thomas Hardy
Winnie-The Pooh, by A.A. Milne
Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte
The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame
Gone with the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell
Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger
The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold
The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran
David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens
The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho
The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov
Life of Pi, by Yann Martel
Middlemarch, by George Eliot
The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver
A Clockwork Orange, by Anthony Burgess
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch, by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

This comes from a new Blog about Lists.
The Lists

3 comments:

BookGal said...

OK ... I've read 16 of them, and I have two more on my TBR list. That's pretty respectable.

JoanneMarie Faust said...

I've read 24 of the books listed and I dispute quite a few of them. The Phillip Pullman series wouldn't even make my list of best books read this year. For each book that I disagree with, I can probably think of 10 that I would replace it with. That doesn't include 'Wuthering Heights' which I've never been a big fan of, but understand how it made the list. I'm more a 'Jane Eyre' fan myself.

Francesca Thomas said...

I do agree with you that the Dark Materials series should not be on the list. I just copied the list from somewhere else.