Monday, February 1, 2010

New Source of Ancient Books

As I mentioned in the Book of Secrets review (and in other posts) I love ancient books. I would love to be the one to find a new old book (if that makes sense) and research it and write a paper on it.

So this weekend while I was surfing the web looking for some interesting news about ancient books, I came across a mention of manuscripts coming out of Timbuktu. Now I have been fascinated by Timbuktu for a very long time, ever since I learned that 600 years ago Timbuktu had a famous university and was the foremost seat of learning in medieval West Africa.

What I did not know at that time, was that Timbuktu also had thousands and thousands of manuscripts.

So over this weekend just finished, I made a new blog - about the Lost Ancient Books of Timbuktu.

There is tons of information out there about Timbuktu, some of it as recent as January 2010, and some of it written or filmed in the last 3 years.

These ancient manuscripts were written in Arabic, and I know nothing of that language. However there are teams intent on preserving, translating and digitising these manuscripts and eventually uploading them to the internet so that the world can read them.

I hope you enjoy reading my Timbuktu blog, as much as I had fun making it. I will add any new information I find to the blog as it becomes available, but for now there is plenty up there to whet the appetite.

No comments: