Sunday, March 9, 2008

Disaster - Computer Crashed

We have two computers - one new (2 years old) and one old (8 years old). The new one has crashed and I have lost the last 7 years of my life. I am currently typing this on the old computer. All my private journals of the immigration limbo we went through; all my genealogy notes and certificates; my books, bibliography notes, book reviews etc; all my emails; all my pictures; all my history notes (and there were tons and tons of those); all the family photographs from both sides. ALL LOST. Even the employment contract for the new job I just started.

This is a disaster.

I have finished one book and will try and have a review up later today. And the last 2 days we have been stuck inside enduring a bitterly cold snowblizzard. There are 6 inches of snow on the ground in Toronto - and Ottawa has 50cm (20 inches) of snow. Now there is sunshine and snow outside.

The good news is that the new computer is now back up and running - with all my files gone - but hubby did have to stay up ALL night to fix it. And I do mean ALL NIGHT. He was working on it at 9 pm last night, when I went to bed, and he was still working on it when I got up at 8 this morning. Hubby has now gone to sleep.

Apparently our troubles started several weeks ago when we finally upgraded to IE version 7 (because IE 6 is not longer being supported by MS). And we have had nothing but trouble since then. Yesterday I downloaded the 2008 version of Norton Security, and that was it - the system crashed. Apparently there have been rumblings in cyberspace of conflicts between IE 7 and Norton security. We are not the only people having that conflict trouble. And I wish we had read this first before we downloaded IE7. We did also download Firefox, but it doesnt do very well with javascripts out there.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I'm no expert, but I use Firefox exclusively, figuring that it's always a good thing to stay as far from Microsoft software as possible. I haven't found that it limits my blogging or web-browsing in the least.