Friday, July 25, 2008

Book Meme for 2008

I dont think I have done one of these for a very long time, so here is a catch up meme on what books I like. I found it at susan's blog

Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
I do not remember being taught to read. My father says I learned to read by flash cards. He showed me the flash cards - with words on them - when I was a child, because he was wanting to teach me to speak clearly. I have a hearing problem and I taught myself to lipread (although it is supposed to be called "speech reading" now). Anyway all those flashcards means I learnt to read by the time I was 4 and 5 years old. I remember having to take speech lessons when I was about 8 years old - to stop me from "gabbling" - which means I spoke to fast and not always clearly.

What are some books you read as a child?
Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, The Bobbsey Twins, Enid Blyton mysteries - Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventurous Four, Mallory Towers and St Clair school series, The Chalet School Series by Elinor m. Brent-Dyer and of course Laura Ingalls Wilder,

What is your favorite genre?
Non Fiction mostly - especially History. But I also like Action & Adventure novels.

Do you have a favorite novel?
NO

Where and when do you usually read?
on the bus to and from school (or work), lunch time, and in bed at night.

Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
YES

Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
NOPE

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
Mostly buy. Sometimes I borrow from the library.

Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them?
I keep the good ones. Every now and then when my book shelves/cupboard/piles get too full, I clear out the old books and donate them to Goodwill.

If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child?
My son likes Robert Munsch, and books based on his favourite TV series. No, he has not shown any interest in any of the books I liked a child - but 40 years ago, there was not a lot of colour or action in children's books. And none of my books were based on TV series.

What are you reading now?
You mean right now?
Going Inside by Alan Kesselheim
Legerdemain by James J. Heaphey
WhoopiGoldbergBook by Whoopi Goldberg
The end of America by NAncy Wolf
All NON-fiction

Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
I keep a TBR cupboard and TBR piles? Do they count?

What books would you like to reread?
Helene Hanff - she is about the ONLY author I can read over and over again.

Who are your favorite authors?
So many!!
Helene Hanff
James Rollins
Clive Cussler
Steve Berry
Matthew Reilly
James Burke from UK (NOT James Lee Burke)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 400 posts and thanks for reviewing so many books. I've gotten a lot of reading ideas from your blog. If you don't mind, I plan on compiling my own answers to your meme on my blog today.

Francesca Thomas said...

You are more than welcome to use this meme, Chris. That is what the memes are for - to get to know fellow book bloggers. I look forward to getting to know more about you and your books habits.