Friday, July 25, 2008

1 year anniversary of my craniotomy surgery

Craniotomy - A surgical operation in which part of the skull, called a bone flap, is removed in order to access the brain.

Actually the 1 year anniversary is tomorrow (Saturday 26th) but I'm mentioning it today because my weekends are usually pretty busy.

Anyway, one year ago tomorrow, I was up at 5 am walking to the hospital to be in the operating room by 6.30 am for surgery which was due to start at 7.45.

I can still remember telling myself (as I was walking) that things were now out of my hands and if I should not survive the surgery - well at least I wouldn't be aware of it because I would already be unconcious. I dont beleive that heaven or hell actually exist, so I did not expect to go to in either of those places.

As it is - I survived my craniotomy with no problems at all. This is what I looked like after my surgery and after I had all my hair cut off. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see what I would look like with no hair. Thank goodness I dont need to do that again.

I am now back in school because I have not been able to find any long term job since my surgery. After I lost a job opportunity I really wanted, I decided that it was time I went back to school to update my skills.

So that is what I am doing right now - one year after my surgery - back in school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

School is an interesting step after surgery. My wife did the same thing after she had a complicated procedure last summer. A month later, she was enrolled and working toward her Masters.

I hope all has been well since the surgery. If not, I hope that things improve.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on one year! I think going back to school is a great idea and hope all is going well.