Monday, September 3, 2007

What is a Serious Reading Habit.

I found the following paragraph at Literary Feline's Blog.

There are several people in my office who read on their breaks and during their lunch hours. They might not crack open a book at home, but they do read at the office. None of them are have serious reading habits as I would define it. Sure they read, but they do not have this overwhelming desire to frequently discuss the books they read. They don't gravitate towards book news and litblogs to see what everyone is reading and what new books are coming out. They aren't members of several online reading groups where the discussion of books is the main topic. They don't talk their significant other's ear off with talk about the book they are reading. They do not keep a reading journal or jot down their thoughts of all the books they read. And they certainly don't enter contests for books and then feel like they won a million dollars when they win a book.

I've always been called a bookaholic or a bookworm, but like Literary Feline, I think "serious reading habit" sounds nicer. Except that I know I am addicted to books. Let's see, do I qualify to have a "serious reading habit?"

Overwhelming desire to frequently discuss the books they read.
Yes - on this blog

Gravitate towards book news and litblogs to see what everyone is reading and what new books are coming out. Yes and yes

Several online reading groups where the discussion of books is the main topic. So far I have only one Yahoo book group - NovelChallenge. Does that count?

They talk their significant other's ear off with talk about the book they are reading.
Nope - Hubby is just NOT interested. He does NOT read for pleasure. He prefers car manuals and other technical stuff.

They keep a reading journal or jot down their thoughts of all the books they read. I may not do this in writing - I prefer typing. That is why I started this blog.

And they enter contests for books and then feel like they won a million dollars when they win a book. Yes absolutely. Haven't won any books yet. LOL

And one more I (Historia) would like to add.

They get free Advanced Reading Copies from the book publishers so they can read and review them. Yes I do.

So do I meet the criteria for having a "serious reading habit?"

2 comments:

Literary Feline said...

LOL Maybe there should be a tag line that if you say yes to a certain number of categories, you have a serious reading habit. :-)

I actually fall into your own category too, Historia, reading ARE's and reviewing them. Guilty, guilty, guilty! Haha

Francesca Thomas said...

Feline,

I did do a meme based on our "serious habit" posts.

And you still haven't said how many YES answers you got. LOL

H