Friday, March 23, 2007

More thoughts about blogs, books and bookselling

Its almost midnight and I have just spent the last 2 hours reading Sarah's Blog (Sarah's Books Used & Rare - see Sidebar link). Am only half way through, so will read the rest tomorrow. Both Sarah and Ms Ashland run their own used/rare bookshops. Its not for the love of money, but for the love of books.

I think they must be telling me something. I have an awful lot in common with both of them. All 3 of us are women (yes I am female), all 3 of us are married, and all 3 of us love books. Sarah doesnt have kids, Ms Ashland has 4 daughters and I have 1 son.

Before I forget, I would like to mention a well known Book collector. Sir George Grey. What? You never heard of him? No, you probably haven't heard of him. Sir George Grey was the Governor of New Zealand in the 1840's. George was a bit eccentric. He built a wonderful mansion on Kawau Island (Just off the Hibiscus Coast - north of Auckland - visitors are allowed to wander around the gardens and through the Mansion during the summer only) and he stocked the gardens with a menagerie of animals, including peacocks.

Anyway thanks to Steve's comment today, I found a new biography about George's book collections from Oak & Knoll Press.

Kerr, Donald Jackson
AMASSING TREASURES FOR ALL TIMES: SIR GEORGE GREY, COLONIAL BOOKMAN AND COLLECTOR
Dunedin, New Zealand and New Castle, Delaware, Otago University Press and Oak Knoll Press 2006 6 x 9.25 hardcover 352 pages

And a link about George from the Auckland Public Library.
http://www.aucklandlibrary.co.nz/heritage/rarebooks/sirgeorgegreyandkawauisland.htm

I must try and see if my parents can get a copy for me since they live in Dunedin.
Silly me, what am I saying? I can pay out $50 to Oak & Knoll. Delaware is not that far from Toronto.
OTOH, I think I'll wait. I'm sure I can pick up a copy for $10 from Bookcloseouts - in 2008.

No comments: