Sunday, August 19, 2007

Catcher in the Rye - small discussion

Then this morning I went to the bookstore and bought The Catcher in the Rye. I’m sure the large part of me is Holden Caulfield, who is the main person in the book. The small part of me must be the Devil.

I went to the building. It’s called the Dakota. I stayed there until he came out and asked him to sign my album. At that point my big part won and I wanted to go back to my hotel, but I couldn’t. I waited until he came back. He came in a car. Yoko walked past first and I said hello, I didn’t want to hurt her.

Then John came and looked at me and printed me. I took the gun from my coat pocket and fired at him. I can’t believe I could do that. I just stood there clutching the book. I didn’t want to run away. I don’t know what happened to the gun. I remember Jose kicking it away. Jose was crying and telling me to please leave. I felt so sorry for Jose. Then the police came and told me to put my hands on the wall and cuffed me.

Statement of Mark David Chapman to police at 1 a.m., Dec. 9, 1980, three hours after the murder of John Lennon.


I was discussing books we read in High School with hubby this morning. Both of us have been out of HS for more than 20 years now. He said the only book he can remember reading, "...had a red cover. I liked it. About a young boy in the thirties.".

So I asked him what was it called. He can't remember, other than "It's a famous book. Same one the man who shot Lennon was holding".

Still doesn't ring any bells with me. So I do a quick google and find that Chapman was holding a copy of Catcher in the Rye.

Interestingly enough, I have never read this book. It was not on any of my HS English class reading lists. I have heard a lot about it, so I think I may borrow it from the library and maybe give it a try. It can be my last book for the New Notions challenge, since I dont feel like reading Shakespeare right now.

1 comment:

Imani said...

I'd never read it in high school either, but decided to after I bought a YA novel, King Dork, that was based on it in a significant way. It was pretty good actually -- I wasn't bowled over, but I liked it.