Tuesday, July 10, 2007

New Books I want to read - and the Something About Me Challenge

The Secret of Lost Things

Has anyone read this novel yet? The review I just read looks good - a young lady from Down Under (my old stomping grounds - as we would say) arrives in NYC and gets a job in an antiquarian Book Store.

Now about the Something About Me Challenge. For some reason I thought I had to choose 5 books that I WANT to read that reflect who I am. Thats why I was waiting to choose my books. Today I finally worked it out - I actually get to choose 5 books I have already read that reflect who I am, and choose 5 books from other peoples lists to read for the challenge.

So the 5 books that reflect who I am are as follows.

84 Charing Cross Road - Helene Hanff (NF)
Because I love reading anything about books - and I absolutely LOVED the movie.

Holy Blood, Holy Grail - Baigent, Leigh, Lincoln (NF)
I read this 25 years ago when it first came out. It made a huge impact on my life as I searched for the truth (my version of truth anyway) and I will always be grateful to this book for opening my eyes.

Runaway Jury - John Grisham (F)
I loved this story where the little people win against the big tobacco companies. The movie got changed drastically, and did not give me the same feeling.

Sahara or Treasure - Clive Cussler (F)
Sahara because it involves the ancient libraries of Timbuktu, and Treasure because it involves the Ancient Library of Alexandria. Great Adventure books by one of alltime my favourite Authors.

I am Spock & I am not Spock - Leonard Nimoy (NF)
Because I LOVE Vulcans and Star Trek, and Nimoy does such a fantastic job.

Please note that 3 of these books are non fiction and only 2 are fiction - because I have said a number of times, I do prefer reading non-fiction.

I will post my books to read after I have perused everyone's lists.

ETA about 2 hours later - Here is my list


So Many Books, So Little Time by Sara Nelson (NF) Sally, A Book in the Life, and Vasilly
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (F) (crossed over with another challenge)
The above 3 because they are on my TBR list


The Red Tent by Anita Diamante (F) (sarah miller)
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (F) Dewey
2 popular novels that I havent read yet


Educating Esme by Esme Raji Codell (NF) A book in the life
Papa Married a Mormon by John D. Fitzgerald (NF) Suey
Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books by Paul Collins (NF) Nattie
Parenting your Only Child by Susan Newman (NF) Christina
Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan (NF) kookiejar
Biblioholism by Tom Raabe (NF) Twiga
The Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan Sykes, (christina) because I am a genealogy addict LOL
And of course a good list of NF depending on if I can find them

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Seven Daughters of Eve isn't exactly geneaology, but it was pretty interesting.

I'd forgotten about The Secret of Lost Things. There are way too many books nowadays. (Well no, there can never actually BE too many books, but not enough time!)

Another person who read Holy Blood, Holy Grail eons ago! It did make The Da Vinci Code's "secret" not so surprising.

Lisa said...

hey there -- why don't you cross post this on the Challenge blog so everyone can see it (I sent you an invite) -- and then I'll put it on the sidebar.