Sunday, April 13, 2008

Why I am not posting and reading.

Some of you may be wondering why I am not posting as much as I used to. That's because I am no longer reading as much as I used to. When I was having to go out to work on all my previous jobs, I had time to read on the bus to and from work, and sometimes I read during my lunch time.

Now that I don't need to travel, (I am lucky enough to be able to work from home) I use the computer for work, and then I stay on the computer in my spare time, surfing the net or checking my email, or checking my family genealogy.

Now I find, when I get tired at the computer in the evening, I go to bed and then READ - often I stay up to 1 or 2 am - like last night. Which leaves me still tired in the morning. Like right now. Also I don't get to sleep in on the weekends. My 5 year old wakes me when he gets up - usually around 7am.

Today I perused the Toronto Star Books section, and have discovered that The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill recently won a major Canadian prize. The Book of Negroes has won the Rogers Trust Writers Fiction prize - worth $15,000.

Almost anyone can tell you that Canada was the end of the famous Underground Railroad. Few know that on the ships delivering black and white loyalists who fought for the English in the American Revolution sailed the still chattled (owned) slaves of the white loyalists. Few know of the real book, The Book of Negroes, that listed the names of all of the Blacks who would be given passage to Canada, ensuring that there would be no stow aways who hadn't "earned" their freedom through service to the British Empire.

Oh yes, The Book of Negroes is a Canadian book. In the USA it has a different title - probably because the N word is a no-no. In the USA this book is called Someone Knows my Name.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Don't feel bad about slowing down your posting and reading. I am so impressed by the reading list on your sidebar. I only wish I could keep up! Sometimes work and family demand our full attention and that's ok.

Chris