Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Darcy's Story Book Review

Darcy's Story
By Janet Aylmer
Harper Books 2006
Originally Published by Copperfield books 1996


We have all read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, right?
Well MOST of us anyway. Some of us have only seen the TV series or the Movies. This is the other half of the story.



This is Darcy's verson of events. It details his thinking of how he fell in love with Elizabeth Bennett, how he wrestled with himself about her social class (which was somewhat lower than his), and how he dealt with Wickham and Bingley, and Bingley's sisters. It's written in the same exact style as the orginal book, and it follows P&P very closely for chronology and events.

While the style of writing took some getting used to, I did understand that this was Jane Austen's style, so either I read it and deal with it, or I put the book down. I chose to read it.

I enjoyed this book. It certainly got me emotionally involved. I got very upset at the Bingley sisters for their snobbish attitudes towards the Bennetts. They were vicious and horrible. So they would have had to keep their mouths shut when their brother married Jane Bennett.

"For my own part, I must confess that I never could see any beauty in her. Her face is too thin, her complexion has no brilliancy and her features are not at all handsome. Her nose wants character. There is nothing marked in its lines. Her teeth are tolerable, but not out of the common way, and as for her eyes, which have sometimes been called so fine, I could never perceive anything extraordinary in them. They have a sharp shrewish look which I do not like at all, and in her air altogether, there is a self sufficiency without fashion which is intolerable."
Miss Bingley to Darcy about Elizabeth Bennett- chapter 23.

I am so glad I didnt live in those times. I am also very glad that Darcy did not keep those same attitudes. He had his non-negotiables, but was flexible enough to allow for some differences.

I read this book for the Jane Austen Challenge.

No comments: