Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ulysses, By James Joyce - 50 Greatest Books

This weeks Greatest Book is Ulysses by James Joyce

Ulysses contains detailed references to The Odyssey, Hamlet, Don Giovanni, Plato, Aristotle and Catholic theology; untranslated passages of Latin, Italian and Hebrew; boldface capitalized headlines that make a section set in a newspaper office resemble a newspaper; seemingly endless, farcical lists ("Patrick W. Shakespeare" and "Brian Confucius" as "Irish heroes and heroines of antiquity") and wild swings between poetic writing and raucous adolescent humour, even fart jokes.

MM maybe I better read this if it has all these literature references. But then the storyline doesnt interest me that much, neither does Dublin. I am not Irish. Ok I'll settle for skimming it instead, if I can find a copy.

Next week: Das Kapital

No comments: